All five of the following needs have to be met on a personal level in order to be an effective part of a working organization. Leaders that can meet these needs will see employee engagement soar.
- I matter. The need to feel that the organization has a worthwhile purpose. The need to understand how tasks contribute to the purpose.
- I belong. The need to feel a part of the tribe. The workplace values need to ring true and be shared among the foundation of the workplace culture.
- I’m enabled. The need for easy access to the tools, information, and processes that help get tasks accomplished. Clarify how to find help in making decisions and getting the work done.
- I contribute. The need to have accomplishments recognized. It is important for teammates to appreciate and value the contributions of others.
- I’m respected. The need to feel appreciated and important. An organization must provide an environment of trust where information can be confidently and appropriately shared.
It’s all about communication: reinforcing values, articulating plans, and celebrating successes.