6 reasons your members don’t heart you on social media

Your credit union has decided to dedicate some resources to improving your social media presence. By now, you most likely have the basics:  A Facebook page, perhaps even a twitter account. You post once or twice a week, maybe even less depending on how busy you are with other daily activities. Most small and medium-sized credit unions don’t have the deep pockets to warrant a fully-staffed marketing department, so the task of updating your pages is in the hands of your executive team or more likely the youngest/hippest employee on your payroll.

You know that in today’s digital world, social media is another way to reach members and establish your credit union as a financial leader in the community. Almost every generation can be reached via social media, especially millennials, the largest generation in the US history, and the upcoming Gen Z population. The importance of social media cannot be overstated, especially when promoting credit union member services. However, despite best efforts, your base of followers might be stagnant. Here are 6 possible reasons your members aren’t engaging with your credit union on social media.

  1. You’re Strictly Promotional. Members don’t want to feel like they’re constantly being sold to via social media, let alone any marketing platform. If you’re only posting about promotions, members are quick to unfollow. Utilize the 80/20 rule when posting content: only 20% of content should be sales focused, while the remaining 80% should be focused on other efforts.
continue reading »

More News