When preparing for a possible active shooter situation, think ALICE, Mike Petrone, CUNA Mutual Group risk consultant, tells America’s Credit Union Conference attendees Tuesday at the Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida.
ALICE stands for:
- Alert. This involves your initial awareness of an active shooter incident. “Once you’re aware of an event, you need to know how to react,” he says.
- Lockdown. Know traditional and other lockdown procedures.
- Inform. Know how and when to pass along real-time information about the event.
- Counter. Know when it makes sense to counter and/or distract the shooter.
- Evacuate. Know when to run.
“There’s no special order to these; they’re just designed to help you survive an active shooter incident,” Petrone says. “These events are happening every day, and you need to have preventive measures in place.”
continue reading »