Grants Available for Financial Literacy through Credit Union Foundation of the Dakotas
CONTACT PERSON: Amy Jo Johnson
Director of Learning
Credit Union Association of the Dakotas
PHONE: 1-800-279-6328 ext. 3954
The Credit Union Foundation of the Dakotas (NCUF Partner) has grants available to community organizations and credit unions affiliated with The Credit Union Association of the Dakotas.
The Credit Union Foundation of the Dakotas is funded by participating North and South Dakota Credit Unions. It funds projects in the areas of access to financial services, financial education, savings and asset accumulation, and small credit union development. Those interested in applying must meet the following criteria:
- Be an affiliated North and South Dakota Credit Union or a community organization. Non-Credit Union organizations may apply for grant funding, but must partner with a North or South Dakota credit union and be able to clearly demonstrate how the project will impact Credit Unions and their members.
- Funds may be used for the following purposes:
Education of credit union employees and volunteers;
Public education initiatives related to consumer finance;
Projects and programs that support new, small or community development credit unions:
Enhancement to League/Association projects funded by other sources that are consistent with the Foundation’s mission and purposes;
Programs or projects that extend credit union services to the full range of membership, with emphasis on the un-served, underserved or “low-income” consumers;
Affordable housing projects;
Partnerships that provide services or carry out projects consistent with the Foundation’s mission and purposes; and
Other purposes consistent with the Foundation’s 501(c) (3) mission and purpose.
- Solicit endorsement and/or funding from at least one local credit union or credit union related supporter.
- Be able to leverage funds from other community, philanthropic, government or other sources to maximize benefit and ensure sustainability at the conclusion of funding from this grant.
- Obtain letters confirming in kind support or funding commitments from partners both within and outside the credit union movement.
- Have tangible, achievable goals and objectives.
The Credit Union Foundation of the Dakotas Grant Committee will consider grant proposals throughout the year. Interested parties should submit applications by Saturday, March 31, 2012. All completed grant applications must include:
- An organization description, legal name, address, primary purpose, and history.
- The organization’s letter from the IRS stating that it is tax –exempt under Section 501 (c) (3) or Section 501(c)(6) and not a private foundation under Section 509(a).
- Most recent audited financial statement and complete copy of a recent form 990 federal tax return.
- Current organization and project budget and proposed budgets for 2012.
- Leadership information (Board and staff)
- List of other funding sources for the organization, including letters of in kind support/funding commitments.
Organizations obtaining funds will be required to file a grant report. This report should include a summary of the project or event, and how the funds were used.
Interested organizations can obtain a grant application by contacting Amy Jo Johnson at 800-279-6328 ext.3954 or firstname.lastname@example.org .