Raiz FCU offers $129,000 in scholarship and grant opportunities in 2023
Fueling Ambition and Creating Pathways to Excellence
EL PASO, TX (May 18, 2023) — Raiz Federal Credit Union has always shared a passion for supporting education, dating back to its founding in 1936 as El Paso Area Teachers Federal Credit Union. Each year the organization presents its members with the opportunity to receive a $1,000 scholarship award to help students achieve their higher education goals.
This year, the credit union is pleased to announce the expansion of this program to include scholarships and grants available for students, education professionals, and local non-profit organizations. “We are proud to support the next generation of leaders in these important fields. When we invest in the leaders of our community, we are investing in a brighter future for El Paso,” shares Max Villaronga, Raiz President and CEO.
Raiz is offering a total of $129,000 in scholarships and grants for those that qualify:
- $1,000 Community Scholarship – Awarded to ten high school or college students.
- $1,000 Community Scholarship (Raiz team members) – Two high school or college students who are either Raiz team members or dependents of Raiz team members are eligible to receive this award.
- $5,000 Michael Sandoval STEM Scholarship – In memory of Raiz’s late VP of e-Commerce, Michael Sandoval, one student will be awarded this scholarship for their pursuit of a future in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics).
- $5,000 “Raizing Leaders” UTEP College of Business Administration’s Banking Academy Scholarship – Awarded to two students enrolled in the UTEP College of Business Administration’s Banking Academy, this scholarship supports the future leaders of the financial industry.
- $5,000 “Raizing Leaders” UTEP College of Education Scholarship – Awarded to two students enrolled in the UTEP College of Education pursuing a career in education, this scholarship supports and encourages students to continue their path in shaping the minds of children, and the future of our community.
- $3,500 “Raiz Up” Professional Development Grant – Awarded to one teacher per Region 19 school district, for a total of 12 teachers, to attend a professional development conference or training of their choice.
- $25,000 “Together We Raiz” Community Grant – Awarded to two local non-profit organizations to help fund their needs such as new equipment, programs, staff development, materials, etc.
Applicants of these scholarships and grants must be Raiz members or a registered certified 501 (c) 3 organization. Student transcripts will be taken into consideration for qualifying applicants. All applications are now open and will be available until Fall 2023. Winners will be notified in October and awards will be issued in November. For more information about application deadlines and requirements, please visit www.raiz.us/blog.
About Raiz Federal Credit Union
At Raiz (pronounced as "rise"), our members and strong, vibrant community inspire us daily. We share a passion for knowledge and the pursuit of growth, grounded in our heritage as El Paso Area Teachers Federal Credit Union (TFCU). Today, we guide members from many professions to focus on their goals and help them get here. We're proud of our roots in El Paso (since 1936) as we envision a bold path forward, leading the way with passion. With over 73,000+ members strong and $1 Billion in assets, we provide a full range of high-quality financial services at the great rates and low costs you can expect from a first-class credit union. Join us and experience the difference that comes from working with people who care.
The meaning behind our name: Spanish for root and pronounced as raíz (en Espa ñol) or rise (in English), our new identity grows from our heritage in the community. Grounded in the roots of our beginning with teachers, sharing a passion for knowledge and pursuit of growth. We inspire our members and employees to feel connected to our future potential together. We are rising and inviting people to move forward with us.