UW-La Crosse partners with UW Credit Union to provide on-campus financial services
MADISON, WI (August 31, 2016) — The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse has entered into a partnership with UW Credit Union that will provide banking services, support of the University’s It Make$ Cents financial literacy program, student scholarships as well as employment opportunities over the next seven years, with the opportunity for three one-year renewals.
Following a competitive bidding process, UW Credit Union was awarded the contract that provides significant annual compensation to the University, which could exceed $850,000 over the potential 10-year contract period. The funding is guaranteed regardless of the number of people who open accounts with UW Credit Union. In addition to providing surcharge-free ATMs on campus, UW Credit Union will open a full-service branch within the school’s new Student Center in January 2017. The credit union will provide an interim branch at the Cartwright Center that opens today.
“We are very pleased to be able to partner with UW Credit Union and look forward to having the credit union on the UWL campus,” said Bob Hetzel, Vice Chancellor for Administration & Finance at UW-La Crosse. “UW Credit Union provides exceptional services which will be available to our students, faculty and staff through the new branch in the Student Center as well as online. They have a community-oriented philosophy that provides an excellent fit with UWL since UW Credit Union is committed to serving the best interests of students, faculty and staff.”
The agreement officially begins in August 2016, offering UW-La Crosse students, faculty and staff the following:
- A checking account option that features no minimum balance and no monthly or online banking account fees.
- Leading on-the-go banking technology: Mobile App, Mobile Wallet, Mobile Deposit, Email and Text Alerts, and more.
- Surcharge-free ATM services. This means that anyone using the on-campus ATMs will not have to pay terminal fees of up to $3 charged by many financial institutions.
- In partnership with the It Make$ Cents program, seminars aimed at encouraging responsible financial practices.
- A convenient on-campus location for conducting banking business.
- Consumer-friendly banking practices. For example, UW Credit Union does not assess an overdraft NSF fee related to regular debit card transactions and charges no more than one NSF or overdraft transfer fee per business day, regardless of how many overdraft items are involved. Other financial institutions charge multiple NSF fees, some up to six per day. Additionally, UW Credit Union accounts overdrawn by less than $10 are not assessed overdraft fees at all.
“We’re exceedingly proud to be able to serve the La Crosse campus community,” said Rob Van Nevel, Senior Vice President & Chief Member Solutions Officer at UW Credit Union. “We are dedicated to business practices that promote the financial well-being of students, faculty and staff, as well as members of the surrounding community. Even though we do offer easy online access, our presence on campus adds another level of convenience to all of our consumer-friendly products and services.”
This partnership will expand UW Credit Union’s full-service branch and ATM network to eight campus communities; UW-Green Bay, UW-La Crosse, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, UW Oshkosh, UW-Stevens Point, UW-Whitewater and Madison College.
About UW Credit Union
UW Credit Union is a growing, federally insured financial institution and a leading provider of a full range of financial services to University of Wisconsin communities. UW Credit Union's more than 800 employees serve the financial needs of nearly 300,000 members through world-class technology systems, and through a convenient network of 29 branch locations and over 100 ATMs. With assets exceeding $4.6 billion, UW Credit Union is ranked nationally among the leading credit unions. Founded 90 years ago by members of the University of Wisconsin faculty and staff, UW Credit Union continues to operate as a not-for-profit, member-owned financial cooperative with locations in the Madison, Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Green Bay, Oshkosh, Whitewater and La Crosse areas.