Vantage West awards scholarships to five local students
Vantage West Credit Union (www.vantagewest.org), Southern Arizona’s largest credit union, has awarded five local high school graduates with scholarships that will reward their accomplishments and lighten their financial load as they enter their freshman year of college this fall. Scholarships were awarded based on a number of criteria, including academic merit, the quality and content of a written essay, and a student’s character as demonstrated by activities and volunteerism. Each scholarship is worth $1,000.
More than 700 students expressed interest in the scholarship program, indicating a pent-up demand for financial assistance from Tucson-area students wishing to pursue higher education degrees. The recipients were chosen because of their commitment to financial readiness, their appreciation for fiscal responsibility and their dedication to financial stability as they begin a new chapter of their lives.
“This scholarship program illustrates our commitment to investing in our local community in a way that encourages our youth to take ownership of their financial future, and helps groom the next generation of a well-educated workforce for Tucson businesses,” Robert D. Ramirez, Vantage West President and CEO, said. “The level of interest in this program, indicated by the volume of interest we received, underscores an ongoing need in Tucson. We feel fortunate that we are able to support these deserving students in this way.”
The recipients include:
- Leticia Valesquez, a San Manuel High School graduate and class salutatorian who hopes to study psychology and art at the University of Arizona.
- Thomas Frauenfeld, a Cienega High School graduate who plans to study business management at the University of Arizona.
- Soraya Simi, a Basis Oro Valley graduate who plans to study film and TV production at the University of Southern California.
- Laura McGeary, a Flowing Wells High School graduate who plans to study communications or business at Wellesley College.
- Emalee Schafer, a Sahuaro High School graduate who plans to study business and accounting at Brigham Young University.
The recipients will be recognized for their scholarship awards during Vantage West’s quarterly employee breakfast at 7:30 a.m., July 29, at the Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, 3800 E. Sunrise Drive, Tucson.