Tips on crisis management
Dallas Lawrence gives credit unions a crash course on responding to a crisis. #MBDCouncil
Crisis management expert Dallas Lawrence shared best practices for protecting your organization’s reputation during times of crisis at the CUNA Marketing & Business Development Council Conference in San Antonio.
Lawrence, chief communications officer for Rubicon Project, delivered a few handfuls of insights to credit union leaders with real-life stories and a bit of humor, too. His crisis management recommendations included:
- Know and engage key influencers early and often.
- Avoid an information vacuum.
- Be where the crisis is. For example, if the crisis happens via a YouTube video, don’t respond with a press release.
- Own your brand in social before someone else does. Make sure you have the rights to digital accounts to avoid parody attacks.
- Reach journalists on social media. Journalists are social and face a time-crunch. Make their lives easier.
- Respond with people, not logos. People don’t want to talk to a logo in a crisis. They want a person. Humanize the brand in a crisis. They want to know you care.
- Know what you’re talking about. There’s urgency to respond, but don’t rush. Once you ruin your credibility, it’s hard to get back. And you need it in a crisis.
- When you blow it, own up to it quickly.