If you’re like most credit union marketers, then you’re probably taking time this month to reflect on your year and plan for the next.
As our team has traveled the country this year speaking at conferences, facilitating credit union re-brands and conducting marketing audits, we’ve come across some credit union marketing that literally stopped us in our tracks.
These are pieces that worked for many different reasons, all coming back to how well the piece told the credit union’s story.
Create pieces like these, and you’ll be sure to win your marketing game in 2020.
Colorado Credit Union overview piece
Why we love this piece:
- It’s different. Whenever you can do something different than the norm (whether in size, layout or wording) you’re more likely to stand out and catch member attention.
- It’s interactive. A tactile piece that gives potential members something to do while they read the piece automatically increases the chances that they’ll remember the content.
- It’s clear. The calls to action are unavoidable. The contact information is straightforward. The clarity of this piece ensures that it not only looks cool, but also earns the credit union money.
Louisiana Federal Credit Union infographic
Why we love this infographic:
- It’s bright. The Louisiana FCU brand is bright and happy, and this marketing piece fits right in line with the overall brand. The colors are automatically engaging.
- It shows data. It’s one thing to sayyou save members money, and an entirely different thing to showyou save members money. Data and numbers give you credibility.
- It’s visual. Infographics are one of the most shared things on the Internet, because they quickly and easily communicate information. A reader can take about three seconds to absorb all the information here, as opposed to three minutes if the information was written in paragraph form.
Note: This piece got extra bonus points because it had a video that matched it! Repurposing the same content across different platforms is the best way to get the most bang for your buck out of your marketing work.
Why we love this video:
- It’s fun! Social media should be a place where your brand “let’s its hair down.” People come to social media primarily for entertainment, so get creative in how you provide that entertainment. Don’t ever just use social media to sell.
- It’s got personality. How many credit union videos have you seen that all look the same? Far too many! This video, however, displays the unique personality of Alcoa Tenn FCU and makes the credit union human. The more human your brand, the more approachable you are to potential members.
- It’s engaging. The ironic humor in this video makes it hard for viewers to look away. The content is unexpected and funny, all good things when it comes to social media.
Lone Star Credit Union lobby posters
Why we love these posters:
- They focus on the benefits. Credit unions are notorious for “product puking” all over their lobby posters. They tell all about the features of a product (boring things like rate, length of term, etc.) rather than the benefits that actually matter to a member (convenience, ease, etc.). These posters from Lone Star CU, however, directly speak to the member benefit.
- They’re simple. In marketing, if you make everything important, then nothing is important. These posters do a terrific job of picking one thing to highlight at a time. They also have “white space” that makes the posters easier to read.
- They speak real people language, not credit union language. It’s easy to put industry jargon all over our marketing without realizing it, but the average consumer often doesn’t have a clue what we’re talking about. Like these Lone Star CU posters, always keep your marketing conversational.
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, and that isn’t truer anywhere else than in the credit union marketing world. Collaboration with one another to better serve our members is a hallmark of our industry. Learn from these marketing pieces and incorporate their winning techniques into your own marketing.