American 1 2020 community contributions
JACKSON, MI (January 25, 2021) —
Though 2020 was a year unlike any other due to the coronavirus pandemic, American 1 Credit Union is still committed to giving back to their communities through sponsorships, donations, and volunteer efforts.
“Consistent and thoughtful community giving is incredibly important to American 1 always, but especially during a global pandemic,” said Martha Fuerstenau, President/CEO of American 1. “Our Executive Team and Board of Directors are pleased to support our communities, membership, and employees during these trying times.”
In 2020 American 1 gave to 65 organizations in Jackson, Lenawee, Hillsdale, Wayne, Washtenaw, and Calhoun counties with donations totaling more than $100,000. The most notable American 1 community initiatives included:
- Partnering with TRUE Community Credit Union (formerly CP Federal Credit Union) to host the 20th Annual Hit ‘em Fore Hospice Virtual Golf Benefit, which raised nearly $60,000 to benefit the Henry Ford Allegiance Hospice Home
- Donating more than $15,000 to The Salvation Army through the Red Shield Benefit, a Virtual Car Sale giveback, and their fourth quarter Donate Local initiative
- Providing $12,000 in scholarships to 12 graduating seniors through their Skip-a-Pay program
- Giving $3,000 to United Way for pandemic relief efforts
- Contributing 104 hours of Volunteer Time Off by American 1 staff members
“We were encouraged by the creativity of nonprofits and the dedication of businesses in our community to support those most impacted by the pandemic,” said Janelle Merritt, VP of Community Partnerships. “Although 2020 looked different than we planned, I’m thankful our strategic plan and commitment to our communities still allowed us to give back during a challenging year.”
Chloe Cox Scholarship Winner
About American 1 Credit Union
Established in 1950, American 1 Credit Union today serves over 60,000 members with 16 branch locations across Jackson, Washtenaw, Hillsdale, Calhoun, Lenawee, and Wayne counties. American 1 is proud to serve the members of their communities by creating financial wellness through personal everyday banking.