Desert Schools Federal Credit Union celebrates National Financial Literacy Month
Arizona’s largest credit union helps consumers become financially fit with 5 simple tips
PHOENIX, AZ (April 8, 2015) – April is National Financial Literacy Month and Desert Schools Federal Credit Union has joined in the celebration, hoping to provide local consumers with some helpful tips to become savvy savers and spenders.
The goal of the month, recognized officially in 2004 by the United States Senate, is to teach individuals and families how to better manage their budgets, pay down debt, and learn how to set achievable financial goals.
As the season changes, it’s the perfect time for consumers to spring clean their financial houses. According to a recent survey by Career Builder, 77 percent of American consumers are living paycheck to paycheck. As such, Desert Schools Federal Credit Union is committed to empowering the community with these useful tips:
- Make a commitment. Changing your relationship with money is not an easy task; it takes hard work and a strong commitment. Visit FinancialLiteracyMonth.comand take the pledge to start on the path toward financial security.
- Assess your financial situation– A simple quiz can help you understand your current financial position. Knowing where you are today will help you determine the best path toward meeting your financial goals.
- Get organized – Getting your financial house organized is a great way to begin on a clear path toward financial wellness.
- Set priorities– Understanding the difference between needs and wants will help you establish financial priorities and set realistic goals.
- Live on a budget– Spending less than you earn is easier said than done, but a solid budget is the most important element of any successful financial plan.
“We want financial literacy to become second nature to our members. Managing money doesn’t have to be difficult, and with the right tools and some discipline, financial goals can be achieved every day,” said Susan Frank, CEO of Desert Schools. “Financial Literacy Month is a great opportunity to learn and even refresh our practices to ensure a successful financial plan is in place.”
About Desert Schools Federal Credit Union
Celebrating its 76th year in Arizona, Desert Schools is Arizona’s largest credit union with $3.8 billion in assets, more than 308,000 members and branch locations across the Valley. As a not-for-profit cooperative, Desert Schools prides itself on providing stellar service and innovative products to its customers, and taking an active role in community outreach and education efforts in the Valley and beyond. Learn more at www.desertschools.org.