HFS Federal Credit Union awards $25,000 in scholarships to Big Island students
HILO, HI (July 5, 2022) — Planning for college is an exciting time for many students, but the ever-increasing cost of living, including the costs of tuition, books, room and board, etc. can be a challenge. HFS Federal Credit Union understands how overwhelming these costs can be, which is why the Credit Union awards scholarships each year to help Big Island students pursue their dreams and decrease the financial burden that comes with it.
Over the past 10 years, HFS FCU has awarded more than $177,000 in scholarships to over 70 student members to assist with their college expenses. Many Big Island students are hard-working, talented, and goal-oriented with plans to give back to our island community. This year, the Credit Union received a number of applications from these outstanding students. HFS FCU is excited to announce the high school and college 2022 HFS FCU Scholarship recipients. Each student will receive $2,500 to help fund their 2022-2023 school year. Congratulations to the following students:
- Sean Kobayashi (Konawaena High School)
- Randy Jake Galzote (Waiakea High School)
- Tevita Hala Latu (Waiakea High School)
- Ngirakederang Ueda (Waiakea High School)
- Kieran Maesaka (Kamehameha Schools Hawai’i)
- Maya Oishi (Hilo High School)
- Maribel Agpaoa (Kea‘au High School)
- Amy Durham (University of Hawai’i at Hilo)
- Jobe Leialoha (California Southern University)
- Shayla Sayphone (Macalester College)
About HFS Federal Credit Union
HFS Federal Credit Union (HFS FCU) is the largest not-for-profit and member-owned financial institution on Hawai’i Island. Established by just nine individuals in 1937, HFS started with very humble beginnings. The Credit Union continued to grow from serving just employees of the Federal and Territorial Governments in the County of Hawai‘i and their families, to now offering membership to any person who lives, works or attends school on Hawai’i Island.