Houston-Galveston Area Credit Unions Join Forces to Raise Awareness
Houston, Texas (October 22, 2012) – A group of credit unions from the Houston-Galveston area came together to host week-long activities to celebrate International Credit Union week from October 15 – October 20, 2012. The group raised awareness in the Greater Houston and Gulf Coast areas about the value credit unions offer consumers. The initiative was promoted with one unified marketing theme and included various free events and activities open to members and the general public.
The week’s activities focused on a different topic every day.
- Monday – CU Awareness Day & the Credit Union Difference
- Tuesday – Youth Day
- Wednesday – Financial Literacy
- Thursday – Political Involvement and International Credit Union Day
- Friday – Community Involvement Saturday – Financial Safety & Security
Scheduled events included:
- Credit Unions hosted BizKID$ at area YMCA locations in Baytown & Clear Lake and Mad City Workshops for high school students.
- Credit Unions hosted free “Know your credit score” webinars and offered free credit reports and consultations.
- Credit Unions hosted a Political Meet and Greet so that credit union representatives could make politicians aware of their services and work together to improve local communities.
- Credit Unions hosted a food drive to collect non-perishable food items for Houston and Galveston County food banks.
- Credit Unions volunteered with Bay Area Habitat for Humanity.
- Credit Unions hosted Free Shred Days to allow area residents to safely shred any sensitive information at six area locations.
In addition to bringing awareness to the community, and in the spirit of International Credit Union week and the cooperative spirit, participating credit unions also assisted smaller credit unions in the area by providing needed resources.
- AMOCO FCU provided a new money counter to Marathon Republic FCU.
- Associated Credit Union of Texas assisted Gulf Shore FCU in developing an employee policy manual.
- Gulf Coast Educators FCU provided file cabinets to Texas City Teachers FCU.
- JSC FCU provided a desk to Electrical Workers 527 FCU.
- Texas Dow Employees Credit Union assisted Brazos Community CU in developing a marketing campaign.
Additional information about this cooperative initiative can be found at CreditUnionSense.com. The group hopes to continue this awareness campaign after International Credit Union week in order to raise awareness of the credit union movement in the greater Houston and Gulf Coast areas. All credit unions are encouraged to follow the cooperative initiative on Twitter and Facebook.
About Credit Union Sense Cooperative Movement
The Houston and Gulf Coast Chapter of Credit Unions came together in the spring of 2012 to work on an a credit union awareness campaign. The vision for the initiative is that Houston and Galveston area credit unions could pool their resources to help spread the message about credit unions as an industry, not as individual credit unions. Participating credit unions joined in these efforts by providing financial support, staff/volunteers, and working to forward the message of the movement.
AMOCO Federal Credit Union is a member-owned financial organization. AMOCO‘s mission is to “serve and satisfy its members” and has done just that over the past 75 years. AMOCO strives to provide the best products and services available to its members by offering low loan rates, higher dividends and higher savings rates. For more information, please contact Tina Linquist, VP Culture and Communication for AMOCO Federal Credit Union, at 281.534.5509 or email@example.com.