Marine Credit Union earns Great Place to Work Certification™
LA CROSSE, WI (August 24, 2022) — Marine Credit Union is proud to be Certified™ by Great Place to Work®. The prestigious award is based entirely on what current employees say about their experience working at Marine. This year, 81% of employees said it’s a great place to work – 14 points higher than the average U.S. company.
Great Place to Work® is the global authority on workplace culture, employee experience, and the leadership behaviors proven to deliver market-leading revenue, employee retention and increased innovation.
“Great Place to Work Certification™ isn’t something that comes easily – it takes ongoing dedication to the employee experience,” said Sarah Lewis-Kulin, vice president of global recognition at Great Place to Work. “It’s the only official recognition determined by employees’ real-time reports of their company culture. Earning this designation means that Marine Credit Union is one of the best companies to work for in the country.”
“At Marine, we believe in the three-stakeholder model: if we treat our employees better than anyone else can or will, our employees will take care of our members better than anyone else can or will, and in turn, our members will bring Marine Credit Union their hard-earned business,” said President and CEO Darrick Weeks. “I could not be prouder of our team for putting our first stakeholder, our people, first. We celebrate them and thank them for making Marine great.”
How we did it
We purposefully acted on thoughtful and open feedback from our people over the past two years. Coupled with initiatives and programs like those listed below, their feedback and active engagement in making the employee experience better, contributed to our high scores and designation.
- Heart of MCU, employee story program
- Transitioned our core values, using an inclusive approach that enlisted voices from a cross-functional team of employees, the Values Task Force
- Listening Sessions, monthly virtual coffee chats and Town Halls to continuously listen to our people and build an internal community
- Tell Me Something Good – internal kudos board to post employee and member stories
- Annual employee appreciation event, which includes food, entertainment and prize giveaways
- Career paths for each area of the credit union defined and published for all to access
- Goal cascade launched to connect all employees work to the greater purpose of the organization to advance the lives of people in our communities
- Streamlined goal setting using a visible transparent system for all employees to see and reach their business and personal development goals.
- Launch of Employee Resource groups such as the initiation of a young professional’s group
- Prioritized leadership development regular quarterly leadership development workshops
- Implemented a new learning management system along with over 100 new custom learning modules for employees to have development at their fingertips
- Time off for life events: Graduation (self and/or child), new home purchase, new child (adopted or biological), military service (self and/or family member)
- Volunteerism: Up to 24 hours of paid time off for volunteering (16 for any cause, additional 8 for veterans-related causes)
- Special Contributor – Peer-to-peer recognition program
- Internal promotions & transitions – 60+ employees promoted or transitioned to other roles within the credit union so far in 2022
- Launched a Belonging & Inclusion Journey to promote diversity, equity and community
- Continued commitment to remote work options
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Continued commitment to the community through our MCU Foundation, which advances financial education through programs like Finding HOME and supports charitable giving in the communities we serve. Employees can request funds for charitable causes they, or our members, are passionate about.
According to Great Place to Work research, job seekers are 4.5 times more likely to find a great boss at a Certified great workplace. Additionally, employees at Certified workplaces are 93% more likely to look forward to coming to work, and are twice as likely to be paid fairly, earn a fair share of the company’s profits and have a fair chance at promotion.
Looking to grow your career at a company that puts its people first? Visit our careers page at: MarineCU.com/Career
About Marine Credit Union
Marine Credit Union is a full-service, member-owned financial cooperative serving more than 78,000 members across Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois. Headquartered in La Crosse, Wisconsin, Marine employs more than 400 people, operates 20 locations and holds over $1 billion in assets. Guided by its mission, “to advance the lives of people from a place of financial need to a life of ownership and giving back in our communities,” Marine looks at its members’ individual finances less as a number and more as a journey. The Marine Credit Union Foundation has donated more than $1.3 million to over 950 charitable causes since 2014. Marine earned Great Place to Work™ Certification in 2022 and Juntos Avanzamos designation in 2017 for its commitment to the Hispanic community. For more information, go to www.marinecu.com.
About Great Place to Work Certification™
Great Place to Work® Certification™ is the most definitive “employer-of-choice” recognition that companies aspire to achieve. It is the only recognition based entirely on what employees report about their workplace experience – specifically, how consistently they experience a high-trust workplace. Great Place to Work Certification is recognized worldwide by employees and employers alike and is the global benchmark for identifying and recognizing outstanding employee experience. Every year, more than 10,000 companies across 60 countries apply to get Great Place to Work-Certified.
About Great Place to Work®
Great Place to Work® is the global authority on workplace culture. Since 1992, they have surveyed more than 100 million employees worldwide and used those deep insights to define what makes a great workplace: trust. Their employee survey platform empowers leaders with the feedback, real-time reporting and insights they need to make data-driven people decisions. Everything they do is driven by the mission to build a better world by helping every organization become a great place to work For All™.