Mountain Credit Union staff spread holiday cheer
WAYNESVILLE, NC (December 20, 2013) — Mountain Credit Union staff have joyfully given back to their local communities during this holiday season. Several different groups and charitable organizations have benefited from the generosity of the credit union’s members and employees.
Here are a few examples of the projects taken on by the different branches:
- Waynesville, NC – the staff continued its 20+ year tradition of obtaining names of underprivileged children in Haywood County’s Head Start program. Due to the generosity of their members and the efforts of the staff throughout the year, 30 local children will have a merrier Christmas this year.
- Asheville, NC – in addition to their yearly participation as a drop off site for “Toys for Tots,” a Facebook post prompted the staff to rally behind a member to provide Christmas for two teenaged boys whom she had taken in. They heard an emotional story of how the boys understood that they would not get gifts this year because of the family’s financial hardships. But the employees could not stand aside and allow that to happen. Within a few hours, they had raised $200 amongst themselves to provide a gift card for the family to have a little something for Christmas gifts and a nice meal.
- Enka, NC – for the third year in a row, the staff encouraged members to pick names from their “Angel Tree” and were able to provide Christmas gifts for 27 Candler, NC area children. In each case, every child in a household were sponsored which will make a tremendous difference for a lot of local families.
- Fletcher, NC – the staff was very busy with a food and hygiene supply drive for the Store House Food Pantry, plus a successful food and supply drive for a local, no-kill animal shelter that both carried over into the Thanksgiving season. Additionally, for the fifth straight year, they participated as a “Toys for Tots” drop off site which is always well received by the members who generously give to this cause.
- Cherokee, NC – in yet another staff tradition, employees sold “Santa Braves” stockings and the funds raised will be used to purchase Christmas gifts for underprivileged children in the Cherokee community.
Mountain Credit Union has seven branch offices located throughout Western North Carolina and serves anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Buncombe, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison and Swain Counties of North Carolina. For more information, please visit www.mountaincu.org