Patelco Credit Union contributes over 420,000 meals, 1,300 volunteer hours and $500,000 to Bay Area organizations in 2022, kicks off a new year of giving to support local communities
The credit union focuses on local community partnerships and programs to make a meaningful difference in children’s health, food security, financial education, and affordable housing
DUBLIN, CA (April 10, 2023) — At Patelco Credit Union, a Bay Area-based credit union dedicated to the financial wellness of its members and communities, giving back to the communities is a year-round priority. The credit union focuses its philanthropic efforts in four areas: children’s health, food security, financial education and affordable housing.
In 2022, Patelco donated more than $500,000 to Bay Area organizations, provided more than 420,000 meals to local communities, volunteered more than 1,300 hours, and created financial wellness opportunities for over 6,600 event and webinar participants. In 2023 and beyond, Patelco looks forward to continuing established partnerships while innovating new and creative ways to give back to the community and focusing on current issues that members face.
“Patelco is proud to support nonprofits and programs that have an immense and lasting impact on our communities,” said Wendy Haller, Patelco’s vice president of member experience and financial well-being. “Our team always looks for ways that we can give back, but these past couple years have been especially tough for families in need. We’re honored to play a role in partnership with outstanding community organizations this past year and in the coming year.”
Patelco Raises Funds for Children’s Health
In 2022, Patelco supported children’s health by devoting 250 hours of volunteer time, as well as donating funds including:
- Participating in the 17th annual Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction, which raised a record-breaking $1.5 million for the eleven Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in California and Nevada. To celebrate the occasion, Patelco Credit Union CEO Erin Mendez and Redwood Credit Union CEO Brett Martinez presented a check for over $284,000 to UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital leadership on behalf of the event’s executive committee.
- Supporting the St. Jude Dream Home Giveaway by having five branches serve as ticket outlet centers, enabling the organization to raise over $790,000.
Patelco’s Food Security Efforts Deliver 420,000 Meals to Local Communities
Patelco has been a longtime partner of several organizations on a mission to ensure food security. In 2022, the credit union not only provided funds, but also celebrated the return of in-person volunteering, including:
- Partnering with seven food banks and four other non-profits, as well as over 100 volunteers from Patelco dedicating nearly 550 hours of time to food banks across the Bay Area.
- Greeting guests at the Alameda County Fair to receive over 20,000 pounds of donated canned goods for the Alameda County Community Food Bank.
- Writing over 800 holiday cards filled with personal well wishes to seniors through Second Harvest of Silicon Valley.
Patelco Enhances Financial Wellness Opportunities in the Community
Patelco Credit Union is continuously developing, expanding, and enhancing digital and virtual financial wellness support for members. Throughout the year, Patelco donated funds as well as:
- Educating 6,600 participants through 25 free webinars.
- Educating over 300 employees of corporate partners by holding over 15 educational webinars through the Patelco at Work financial wellness program.
- Expanding the youth financial wellness program by partnering with Banzai to enable high school teachers to provide financial education in their classrooms.
- Hosting an internet safety and fraud prevention seminar tailored towards senior citizens at the Alcosta Senior & Community Center in San Ramon.
Patelco Builds Affordable Housing
Now more than ever, Patelco members and those in the communities it serves struggle to find affordable housing. Patelco enabled safe and affordable housing throughout the year by partnering with Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley, where the credit union donated funds and provided volunteers, including:
- Serving as the presenting sponsor for the Cycle of Hope event, helping raise over $280,000.
- Participating in four build days, where over 60 Patelco team members strengthened the communities by building critical pieces of infrastructure for the 42 homes.
About Patelco Credit Union
Dublin, Calif.-based Patelco Credit Union is a not-for-profit credit union committed to serving the financial health and well-being of its membership. With more than 400,000 members, primarily in and around northern California, Patelco is committed to improving its members’ financial well-being and fueling hope and opportunity for its members by offering personalized solutions, advice, and expertise that empower them to achieve personal financial freedom. Founded in 1936 with $500 in assets by employees of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company, Patelco is in the top one percent of U.S. credit unions with more than $8.9 billion in assets. For more information, visit https://www.patelco.org/.