Excellence Award Winners Honored at HR/TD Council Conference
MADISON, WI – The Excellence Award winners from the CUNA HR/TD Council were announced during the council’s 19th annual conference, which took place April 21-24 in Anaheim, CA.
The award recognizes and honors credit unions that exemplify excellence in the human resources and training disciplines and serves to promote credit union philosophies through people leadership. This year’s winners are (by category):
- Employee Engagement (Assets Less than $499M): Town & Country FCU in South Portland, Maine for their “Employee Experience Team” Program. To help guide the credit union in choosing initiatives they created their Employee Experience Team that was led by HR and a group of employees who volunteered their time to help execute various employee-centered activities and events that were reflective of the needs and desires of the staff.
- Employee Engagement (Assets $500M – $1B): Member One FCU in Roanoke, Va. for their “Using the Humanities to Give Business Training a Soul” Program, which is a diverse offering of courses related to sales, soft skills, economics and leadership that are business related but humanities based. Each program involves music, poetry, literature, the fine arts, history or dance.
- Employee Engagement (Assets More than $1B): Mountain America CU in West Jordan, Utah, for their “How-to Training Videos”, a series of videos created in house for use in the classroom that demonstrate a real life environment utilizing a medium that is attractive and engaging to their audience.
- HR/TD Management Practices (Assets Less than $499M): Maps CU in Salem, Oreg. for their “To the Olympics and Beyond / Health and Wellness” Program, a multi-year implementation of a more defined wellness initiatives concluding with a companywide “Walk to the London Olympics” program.
- HR/TD Management Practices (Assets $500M – $1B): Red Canoe CU in Longview, Wash. for their “Commit to be Fit” Program, a multi-year wellness program focusing on whole body wellness with a yearlong commitment to personal happiness.
- HR/TD Management Practices (Assets More than $1B): Mountain America CU in West Jordan, Utah for their “IRA ELearning Suite”, which successfully converted an entire operational training class to eLearning. The set of courses are 24/7 accessible, provide a consistent message and can be revised as needed.
- HR/TD Strategic Leadership (Assets Less than $499M): Town & Country FCU in South Portland, Maine for their “Online Banking Conversion”, using an all in approach with employee focus groups, volunteer subject matter experts, and theme days Town & Country FCU had completed the fastest most efficient conversation the vendor had ever seen.
- HR/TD Strategic Leadership (Assets More than $1B): UW CU in Madison, Wis. for their “Emerging Leader” Program. Recognizing that internal candidates promoted to leadership roles were more likely to be successful leaders, UW CU created a 12 month program focusing on introducing candidates to leadership success criteria, corporate strategy, core functions and specific training on learning imperatives to equip emerging leaders for success at UW CU.
For more information on the 2013 Excellence Awards, go to www.cunahrtdcouncil.org, and click on the “Award & Recognition Program” link, located on the “Events” pull-down menu.
CUNA HR/TD Council
The CUNA HR/TD Council is a member-led organization made up of more than 750 credit union HR and training professionals across the United States. The Council strives to provide superior educational and networking opportunities to help its members to become leaders and decision makers in their organizations. The CUNA HR/TD Council is of the six organizations that make up the CUNA Councils, a network of more than 5,200 credit union professionals. For more information, visit www.cunahrtdcouncil.org or www.cunacouncils.org.