Lake Michigan Credit Union community raises $50,000 in the fight against COVID-19
GRAND RAPIDS, MI (June 10, 2020) — Once again, the Lake Michigan Credit Union (LMCU) community banded together to raise money for healthcare. It’s the sixth year that LMCU has organized their Band Together campaign, encouraging members and staff members throughout Michigan and Southwest Florida to donate any amount.
Normally, LMCU’s Band Together campaign raises money for pediatric programs at local hospitals. But there’s nothing normal about this year. So, LMCU shifted their campaign to support healthcare heroes on the frontlines. 100% of donations provided local hospitals in Michigan and Florida with desperately needed supplies like masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and more in the fight against COVID-19.
Altogether, LMCU raised $50,000. Lake Michigan Credit Union is honored to have so many members and employees step-up in support of our healthcare heroes.
LMCU’s Community Relations Manager, Alexis Reame, said, “We are so grateful for the generosity of our members and staff during this challenging time. The funds raised will immediately support our hospital partners in the fight against COVID-19 and allow them to further prepare for the days and weeks ahead.”
More than a dozen different hospitals throughout Michigan and Florida will receive 100% of the donations, including Spectrum Health, Mercy Health, Metro Health – University of Michigan Health Hospital, Cherry Health, Holland Hospital, Ascension Borgess Hospital, Bronson Methodist Hospital, Covenant Healthcare, Beaumont Health System, University of Michigan – C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital, Munson Healthcare, Lee Health, and NCH Hospital Systems.
In addition to their Band Together campaign, LMCU supported Michigan and Florida communities in numerous other ways during these critical times, including:
- A collective donation of $50,000 to partner agencies across our market area specifically responding to needs created by COVID-19. Recipients included Heart of West Michigan United Way, Southwest Florida Community Foundation, United way of the Lakeshore (Muskegon), Greater Ottawa County United Way, United Way of Southeast Michigan, United Way of Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor), Capital Area United Way (Lansing), United Way of the Battle Creek & Kalamazoo, United Way Saginaw County, Community Foundation of Greater Flint, Grand Traverse Community Foundation, Hispanic Center of Western Michigan, Feeding America of West Michigan, Cherry Health
- 37,500 pairs of foot-coverings meant for the spring Parade of Homes events that LMCU sponsors were donated to nine hospitals across Michigan and Florida
- Seven LMCU branches served as Personal Protective Equipment drop-off sites for Mercy Health in West Michigan
- LMCU partnered with TransNation Title to donate 400 N95 masks to frontline hospital workers in Muskegon
- An LMCU financial match to Kids’ Food Basket helped drive donations of over $100,000 for meals for students at West Michigan schools
- In partnership with Treetops Collective, nine laptops were purchased for refugee high school students in need of computers to participate in distance learning
- LMCU pens were delivered for use by the ICU and COVID-19 teams at Mercy Health St. Mary’s
- Purchased 600 cloth masks for front line service workers in West Michigan and Southeast Michigan
- Financial commitments for spring non-profit programs and events cancelled due to COVID-19 were honored by LMCU
As the country moves forward, LMCU will continue to support communities throughout Michigan and Florida in the fight against COVID-19.
About Lake Michigan Credit Union
Lake Michigan Credit Union (LMCU) is the largest credit union in Michigan. Employing a staff of over 1,550 and serving over 520,000 members, LMCU's assets exceed $11.5 billion, with a mortgage servicing portfolio of over $13 billion. LMCU has 65 convenient branch locations overall, including 19 in southwest Florida. LMCU members have access to over 55,000 Allpoint ATMs worldwide. LMCU provides a full range of financial services, from high interest-bearing checking accounts to personal loans, mortgages, investments, and commercial banking.
To find out more, visit LMCU.org.