Local school artists win awards in credit union’s My Miami Holiday Art Contest
MIAMI, FL (October 1, 2019) — Students from across Miami-Dade County submitted artwork to compete in South Florida Educational Federal
Credit Union’s (SFEFCU) annual My Miami Holiday Art Contest. The young artists and their families were recently honored at a reception held at the Credit Union’s Kendall branch.
Students created art pieces that celebrate the culture, landscapes and people of Miami during the holiday season. One grand prize winner and nine finalists were selected and received scholarships from the credit union.
“My experience with the Credit Union Art Contest was fun, it was good and I am very grateful for everything,” said Sureily Marestein, this year’s grand prize winner. Marestein is a junior at Arthur and Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts and will have her art featured on this season’s holiday cards that will be sold in all SFEFCU branches beginning in November.
SFEFCU’s 2019 MY MIAMI YOUTH ARTS CONTEST WINNERS
Grand Prize Scholarship Winner
• Sureily D. Marestein, Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts
Gold Scholarship Winners
• Kayah Hornek- David Fairchild Elementary
• Madelyn Obata- Florida Virtual Schools
• Akaiya Payne- Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts
Silver Scholarship Winners
• Anabelle Calles- Miami Lakes Middle School
• Amelie Angelique del Risco- Ethel Koger Beckham Elementary
• Nysia Banks- Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts
Bronze Scholarship Winners
• Claire Chormanski- George Washington Carver Elementary
• Jade Levy- Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts
• Yasmin Benitez- Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts
Holiday cards can be purchased for $10 at any South Florida Educational Federal Credit Union branch. Net proceeds from holiday card sales will benefit the Miami-Dade County Council of PTAs/PTSAs and Miami-Dade County Public Schools art programs.
About Educational Federal Credit Union (EdFed)
Educational Federal Credit Union (EdFed) is the largest credit union headquartered in Miami-Dade County and has proudly supported and served educators, students and the families of Miami-Dade County Public Schools since 1935 and Miami Dade College since 1960. Within the past several years, EdFed has added several educational institutions into their field of membership, including Florida Memorial University. EdFed is committed to increasing educational opportunities for Miami Dade County students and has awarded more than $4 million in scholarships. For more information, please call 855-2EDFED8 or visit www.edfed.org.