Tropical Financial Credit Union awards $10,000 in scholarships to local students
MIRAMAR, FL (July 27, 2020) — College might look very different this fall, but one thing remains the same: 10 students will have a little less financial stress thanks to a $1,000 scholarship from Tropical Financial Credit Union.
This is the seventh year for the program created to help local students further their education. Some of the scholarship winners are currently attending college, while others are about to start college after just graduating high school. They are:
- Ashley Aguiar, from Hialeah, currently attending Florida International University. This is the third year Ashley has received a scholarship.
- Arike Coker, from Miami, will attend University of California.
- Taysha Hogarth, from Miramar, will attend University of Florida.
- Jenna Huben, from Coconut Creek, is currently attending the University of Florida.
- Cassandra Lawson, from Weston, will attend Babson College.
- Ashley Martin, from Miami, will attend Miami-Dade College.
- Jalin Morris, from Miami Gardens, will attend Bethune-Cookman University.
- Claudia Reconco, from Coral Springs, currently attending Miami-Dade Medical Campus.
- Kimberly Slinkosky, from Cooper City, will attend University of Florida.
- Isabella Stanfield, from Miami, will attend University of Florida.
“With so many uncertainties right now, we felt it was important to maintain our tradition of giving out scholarships,” said Rich Helber, president/CEO. “Whether these bright students end up taking their fall classes virtually or on campus, this will lessen the cost burden of a higher education while helping them prepare and learn to become financially independent.”
All of the applicants were required to submit an essay highlighting their personal and educational objectives and how Tropical Financial has, or could, help them reach financial goals. Other factors considered: scholastic achievement, community involvement, charity work and extracurricular activities.
Dropbox photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k0jpwyq3rwaer6s/AAC52IVAw5duVVzv_In8Yqava?dl=0
About Tropical Financial Credit Union
Based in Miramar, Florida, Tropical Financial Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial institution whose deposits are federally insured. Anyone who lives or works in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Lee, Collier, Hendry and Sarasota Counties is eligible to join. Tropical Financial Credit Union was formed in 1935 by employees of the former Southern Bell with just a few hundred dollars and has grown to $1 billion in assets as of June 30, 2022. For more information, log on to www.tropicalfcu.com.