3 ways to get help filing your taxes for free (and 1 way to get a discount)

For most people, filing their annual tax return is a time of worry and dread, where concern about how much you might owe the IRS is overshadowed only by the fear of the bureaucratic nightmare you’ll fall into if you make a mistake. There are tax filing services and CPAs that you can use, of course, but most of them charge around $100 for their services, which is a lot of money for most of us.

Fortunately, if you’re struggling with taxes, you don’t have to feel trapped between the dilemma of expensive professional help or muddling through the 1040 forms yourself. There are options available that will help you file your taxes for free—or at least get a discount.

Visit VITA

Believe it or not, the IRS offers free help for qualified individuals who need help with their taxes. If your annual salary is $58,000 or less, you have a disability or aren’t fluent in English, you can get free basic tax return preparation through the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, also known as VITA.


continue reading »