Corporate Staff “Walks the Walk” to Demonstrate People Helping People
Mid-Atlantic Corporate employees step up, get involved in long list of community initiatives
MIDDLETOWN, PA (June 3, 2013) Since the start of 2013, the staff at Mid-Atlantic Corporate Federal Credit Union has been busy modeling the credit union community’s “people-helping-people” spirit.
“Helping people and their communities is at the heart of credit unions’ mission, and it’s integral to the credit union brand,” said Jay Murray, president/CEO of Mid-Atlantic Corporate. “At our Corporate, we offer a wide variety of ways our employees can get involved, but they need little encouragement. Again and again, they amaze me with their support and enthusiasm for making a difference in the lives of others.”
To better organize these activities, the senior team created a community involvement committee for 2013 to develop new ways for the staff to assist in the community.
Among the Corporate’s 2013 outreach activities organized by this new committee of seven Mid-Atlantic Corporate employees:
- In February, Mid-Atlantic Corporate hosted a blood drive to support the local area blood banks. This is an annual, onsite event, and since 1998, it has collected a grand total of 554 pints of blood.
- During March, the Corporate raised nearly $800 in support of “Daffodil Days,” which brings in needed funding for research and services of the American Cancer Society. Many on the staff purchased bunches or pots of daffodils throughout the event, and 12 employees volunteered their time to sell the flowers in the Pennsylvania State Capitol Building. This was Mid-Atlantic Corporate’s 13th year to participate.
- In April, the Corporate offered staff two ways to get involved in National Financial Literacy Month. On April 3, employees who donated $5 or purchased treats at a bake sale could dress in jeans for the day. And April 3-26, staff took part in a “Loose Change Challenge,” pitting departments against each other in a coin collection contest. Bragging rights went to the weekly department winners – Item Processing, Implementation, Electronic Funds Transfer and MY CU Services. These events collected $728 to support the financial education efforts of the National Credit Union Foundation.
- Also in April, the Corporate celebrated Earth Day and its own “green” initiatives by distributing reusable cups with lids to all staff, sharing a tip sheet offering earth-friendly activities for employees, and planting a tree on property as a living reminder of the importance of protecting our planet.
- May offered employees a chance to support the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area. They earned a “jeans day” by donating items on the organization’s wish list; their generosity resulted in 100-plus items collected to care for and treat pets awaiting adoption.
- In partnership with the Cumberland Valley Appalachian Trail Club, several Mid-Atlantic Corporate employees and family members volunteered their time to clean and beautify the Trail at a work day on May 18. The group helped with digging trenches, repairing bridges, hauling shale, and removing fallen trees and debris.
The Corporate plans another busy month for June, much of it to support Children’s Miracle Network (CMN), a key national charity of the credit union movement. Mid-Atlantic Corporate’s CMN Miracle Child Ambassador, Sammy Hill, a 12-year-old patient who received care at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital in 2008, plans to take part in the activities.
Please visit http://FInection.midatlanticcorp.org to see Sammy’s story and how Children’s Miracle Network has positively impacted her life.
On June 1, employees will volunteer to answer phones and accept donations at the local CMN Telethon, where the Corporate will present its own 2012 proceeds in a contribution check totaling $15,300. On June 15, many staff members will volunteer and others will run in the Hershey Company’s 10th Annual Chocolate Miracle 5K Race to benefit CMN. And the Corporate’s annual golf tournament to support CMN is scheduled for June 20.
To learn more about or become involved in Mid-Atlantic Corporate and its community initiatives, please visit www.midatlanticcorp.org.
About Mid-Atlantic Corporate Federal Credit Union
Mid-Atlantic Corporate Federal Credit Union and its members have been well-served by a conservative financial management approach. It is a federally chartered Corporate Credit Union that provides quality investment, lending and payment services to a national field of membership. Mid-Atlantic Corporate serves CUSOs, leagues, chapters, and more than 800 credit unions. Services include ALM, ACH, share draft processing, electronic bill payment, remote image capture and more. For more information, visit www.midatlanticcorp.org.