GoWest Credit Union Association celebrates one year of partnering with credit unions to serve communities across six states
TIGARD, OR (July 7, 2023) — “Reflecting on our one-year anniversary, I am filled with immense pride and gratitude for the incredible journey we have embarked on at GoWest Credit Union Association. In just a short year, we have accomplished remarkable things together, driven by our unwavering commitment to serving and advocating for credit unions.”
As we move forward, we remain dedicated to our bold, future-focused, and innovative approach, ensuring that credit unions continue to be pillars of strength in the communities they serve. With strengthened federal influence, hyper-local advocacy, and expanded resources, we are poised to make an even greater impact in the coming years. Together, we will continue to move mountains and shape the future of the credit union movement.”
GoWest Credit Union Association is thrilled to commemorate its first anniversary as the future-focused association representing Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming. The inception of GoWest has proven to bolster GoWest’s ability to cater to the evolving needs of its 300 Credit Unions and their 16.5 million members. Working as a united movement, GoWest and its member credit unions are bringing transformative impact to the communities they serve with more resources and resolve than ever before.
“Reflecting on our one-year anniversary, I am filled with immense pride and gratitude for the incredible journey we have embarked on at GoWest Credit Union Association. In just a short year, we have accomplished remarkable things together, driven by our unwavering commitment to serving and advocating for credit unions,” said Troy Stang, CEO, GoWest Credit Union Association.
GoWest represents more than just a name; it embodies a mindset of limitless potential and determination that characterizes credit unions across our six-state region and beyond. GoWest has remained steadfast in its commitment to serving and advocating for credit unions, enabling them to positively impact the lives of their members and communities.
“As we move forward, we remain dedicated to our bold, future-focused, and innovative approach, ensuring that credit unions continue to be pillars of strength in the communities they serve. With strengthened federal influence, hyper-local advocacy, and expanded resources, we are poised to make an even greater impact in the coming years. Together, we will move mountains and shape the future of the credit union movement,” said Stang.
Over the past year, GoWest Credit Union Association has achieved incredible milestones, driven by its shared vision and unwavering commitment to its member Credit Unions. Some notable accomplishments include:
- “Day at the Capitol” Advocacy Events: Credit unions engaged with lawmakers at the capitol in all six states, advocating for preserving and advancing credit unions’ operating environment.
- Participation on Capitol Hill with strategic “Hike the Hill” events. Nearly 400 credit union leaders from the region participated in 47 meetings with the federal officials and key staff during CUNA’s GAC in March. The Summer 2023 GoWest Hike the Hill featured a group of 20 credit union leaders our six-state region where they met with nearly 40 congressional member offices to educate and remind lawmakers of the profound difference credit unions make as not-for-profit, cooperative financial service providers.
- In all six states, hyper-local advocacy advanced. Highlights include passage of GoWest and member credit union-backed legislation that will require financial education in high schools in Idaho and Oregon, support and passage of legislation in Wyoming to protect vulnerable adults from financial abuse, protection for Arizona credit unions against potentially harmful ESG legislation, safeguarding of Colorado credit unions’ interests in lending and GAP insurance legislation, and ensuring Washington credit unions’ concerns were addressed in legislation regarding robocalling, personal information disclosure, lien, and foreclosure bills.
- Collaborative Community Impact: The Foundation and credit unions across the region joined forces to identify and implement credit union-led solutions to complex issues such as workforce housing, access to financial services in rural communities, support for small businesses, and financial education.
- MAXX 2022 Signature Event: Our highly anticipated credit union conference, MAXX 2022, brought together 800 professionals from the West. Attendees gained valuable insights into industry changes, received knowledge-sharing from renowned financial and economic experts, and enjoyed unparalleled networking opportunities.
- CU Connectedness: We facilitated collaboration among 371 credit union CEOs across committees and advisory groups, empowering them to drive the work of the GoWest Credit Union Association through peer-led discussions and sharing of best practices.
- Leadership & Talent Development: Our Leadership and Talent Development team connected 72 high-potential credit union leadership candidates with a suite of development programs, fostering their growth and ensuring a strong future for our movement.
Looking ahead, GoWest Credit Union Association remains committed to fostering collaboration, driving innovation, and advocating for its members within the credit union industry. As GoWest embarks on its journey into the future, it will continue to prioritize the needs and aspirations of its members, serving as a steadfast partner in their financial success.
About GoWest Credit Union Association
GoWest Credit Union Association is the trade association representing credit unions in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming. GoWest advocates on behalf of more than 300 member credit unions, and their 17.4 million consumer members. The region’s not-for-profit cooperative credit unions take a bold, innovative, and forward-thinking approach to improving the lives of their members and enriching their communities. Follow GoWest Credit Union Association on LinkedIn at LinkedIn.com/GoWestCreditUnionAssociation, Facebook at Facebook.com/GoWestCUA, and Twitter at Twitter.com/GoWestCUA for the latest updates on the regional Credit Union Movement.