Great Lakes Credit Union to participate in Illinois rental payment program
BANNOCKBURN, IL (May 18, 2021) — Great Lakes Credit Union (GLCU) is excited to announce their partnership with the Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) to provide rental assistance to members and non-members who are unable to pay rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. GLCU is part of a select group of agencies assisting households through the application process providing ongoing housing counseling services. This program will begin on May 17th and last until June 11th, 2021.
Applicants are eligible for up to 15 months of assistance. The grant can cover the past due rent from the previous 12 months and future rent for the next three months. The maximum grant amount is $25,000. The emergency rental assistance is provided by the federal government and is free to tenants and housing providers.
“GLCU is privileged to partner with IHDA during these historic times to ensure that access to information and technology is not a barrier to stabilizing resources. Together we will meet the evolving and emergent needs of our community!” – Jeanette Velazquez, GLCU’s Senior Manager of Housing and Financial Counseling.
- The household must have experienced a financial hardship directly — or indirectly — due to the pandemic.
- The household is behind on rent and/or is at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
- 2020 household income was below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI), adjusted for household size.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have been unemployed for 90 days and households that are below 50% AMI, adjusted for household size.
- Proof of citizenship is not required. Rental assistance is not a “public charge” benefit.
For in-person or virtual application assistance, households will be able to visit any GLCU branch, schedule online at https://www.glcu.org/IllinoisRentalAssistance or call 1(800) 982-7810.
About Great Lakes Credit Union
Founded in 1938 and headquartered in Northern Illinois, GLCU is committed to financial empowerment for you. As a not-for-profit financial cooperative with over $1 billion in assets, GLCU is proud to serve more than 80,000 members in the Chicagoland and surrounding areas. Learn more about GLCU’s accounts, educational initiatives and community development programs at glcu.org