In response to coronavirus COVID-19, Blue Eagle Credit Union transitions to a completely virtual environment
ROANOKE, VA (March 26, 2020) — Blue Eagle Credit Union is doing banking differently. Like others in the community, the priority of the credit union is the health of their staff, members, and the larger community with as little disruption as possible. As a result, Blue Eagle CU opted to close their lobbies on March 20th, and are serving members fully through digital and virtual services. Like other financials, Blue Eagle Credit Union offers digital banking, apps, ATMs, and drive-ups. However, Blue Eagle CU is also uniquely positioned to serve members through their Interactive Teller Machines (ITMs), called Eagle Vision machines, and a Virtual Services team. In addition, Blue Eagle CU expanded their hours of operation and are now fully and virtually serving members 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
What does this mean and how will banking change?
- Lobbies are closed until further notice, but staff have been transitioned to fully assist with financial needs remotely.
- Self-service, digital, and virtual services need to be used to do banking.
- There are only a couple services that cannot be done remotely. For these, Blue Eagle CU will assess whether an inperson appointment can be scheduled.
- Drive-up and walk-up Eagle Vision ITMs will still be available at all Blue Eagle CU offices. Just touch the screen, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and a live representative will assist with banking needs. If preferred, insert your debit card for unassisted transactions 24/7 as well.
- For loan, account, and other inquiries, please call the Contact Center at 540.342.3429 for assistance from the Virtual Services team.
- Blue Eagle CU offers secure messaging through MyCU Digital Banking, and reminds everyone not to send personal information (like account numbers, passwords, or social security numbers) through email. Unfortunately, in times like these, criminals are watching even more closely for opportunities to scam unsuspecting or distracted people. Please be diligent about protecting personal information.
Jeff Thompson, CEO of Blue Eagle Credit Union, shares, “Especially in uncertain times, the important thing is to remain calm and stick to the facts. Do not let fear sway your judgment or be your financial guide. We realize times are a little uncertain, but we also know countries first affected by Coronavirus COVID-19 are already seeing more recoveries than new confirmed cases – and most recently days without any new cases.”
Thompson further comments, “We’re here to help answer questions and guide our members. We have implemented some hardship relief measures for members who are facing financial challenges as a result of COVID-19 and encourage members to contact us to discuss their specific situation. One common question we’ve received is ‘How much cash should I have on hand?’ – that is a valid question. Our response is simple. While you may need some cash on hand, we do not recommend withdrawing large amounts. In fact, having large amounts of cash could put you at greater risk. Here’s what we’re sharing with members:
1. NCUA deposit insurance is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government. This means that the resources of the United States government stand behind NCUA-insured depositors.
2. Your funds are insured if they are in the credit union. If someone steals your cash, it’s gone forever.
3. Your funds are safer with us than with you. It’s very unsafe for you to have excessive cash on your person or in your home. It could put you and your family in jeopardy.
4. Limit your cash withdrawals to an amount that will get you through one week. We aren’t going anywhere and neither is your money.
5. Cash can be dirty and carry germs. Many businesses are asking that consumers use debit or credit cards to help minimize possible spread and as an extra health precaution.”
Blue Eagle Credit Union has been implementing strategic initiatives for several years that have allowed them to be uniquely positioned to provide a wide range of services through a blend of human interaction and the latest technology. Their credit union members can rest assured Blue Eagle Credit Union is, and in turn they are, already equipped with the financial tools they need to continue doing business even when unexpected events happen, like the Coronavirus COVID-19. Ensuring members have access to account(s) and relevant financial services is a daily priority for Blue Eagle Credit Union. Members can continue to do their Page 2 of 2 banking, even though the Blue Eagle CU lobbies are closed, through a variety of virtual and digital services (without the need to be physically in the office or in close contact with others), including:
Eagle Vision ITMs
Banking done through the ATM screen with a live person! They’re called Interactive Teller Machines (ITMs), we call them Eagle Vision.
- Located at all Blue Eagle Credit Union offices – either in a lobby or a drive-up machine – through the ATM screen
- No card needed for members (simply touch the screen to get started)
- Talk to a live representative 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
- Balance inquiries
- Make loan and credit card payments
- Practically anything you can do in our offices, you can do with Eagle Vision.
Watch the Eagle Vision video to learn more! See how it works, watch our Eagle Vision Demo video
MyCU Digital Banking
You can access MyCU Digital Banking through the web or the Blue Eagle Credit Union app.
- Balance inquiries (account, loan, and credit card)
- Transfers (within your account, Person to Person, and Account to Account)
- Check deposits (only available using the Blue Eagle Credit Union app)
- Make payments (loan, credit card, bills, people)
- Transaction history (account, loan, and credit card)
- Bill Pay (bills, P2P, A2A)
- View account statements
- Card controls (block your card if you suspect suspicious activity)
- Update personal information
- Send secure messages to the Credit Union
- Login using your fingerprint or face ID (if your device offers this capability)
Contact Center and Virtual Services Teams
The Contact Center assists members by phone, email, and secure messages 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Most any service offered in the offices can be done through the Contact Center and Virtual Services teams, including:
- Balance inquires
- Loans (the entire process, start to finish, can be done remotely/digitally)
- Opening accounts
- Update personal information
- Required paperwork (done digitally and securely through Docusign email)
Blue Eagle CU offers 24/7 access to their Blue Eagle ATMs at every office, plus thousands of other surcharge-free ATMs nationwide. Locate one near you using the ATM locator in the Blue Eagle Credit Union app, or on their website.
- Balance inquires
Blue Eagle Credit Union’s digital and virtual services are quick, secure, and convenient. Blue Eagle CU encourages members to do their banking from the comfort of home or Eagle Vision ITMs. Stay healthy!
About Blue Eagle Credit Union
Blue Eagle® Credit Union, a local not-for-profit financial cooperative, is committed to Enriching Lives and finding ways to help members Pay Less. Earn More. Have Fun. ® How? By Delivering Solutions customized for each member and their specific situation, offering relevant services
at affordable rates, and holding tight to their core values of Quality Service, Respect, Integrity, Compassion, and Education. Blue Eagle®
Credit Union has been serving the greaterRoanoke and Lynchburg, VA areas since 1948. Blue Eagle® Credit Union's Google review rating averages 4.9 out of 5 stars, a direct result of their commitment to improving the financial picture of their members and the communities they serve. It’s time to See Banking Differently with Blue Eagle® Credit Union! Insured by NCUA.