InTouch Credit Union makes first donation towards $1 million goal to fight food insecurity
ITCU Kicked-Off $1M Initiative to Fight Food Insecurity and Reached Milestone Donation of $75,000
PLANO, TX (July 1, 2022) — InTouch Credit Union (ITCU) is excited to announce its success with the support of its members through the “You and Us, Fighting Hunger Together” campaign. The credit union reached the initial milestone of providing a first round of donations totaling $75,000 from the $1 million goal set to support those struggling with food insecurity.
Currently, 13.8 million households in the U.S. are suffering from food insecurity. One in eight Americans struggles to afford nutritious daily meals. That equates to an estimated 42 million people, including 13 million children, who face, each day, not knowing when or what they’ll eat. ITCU is making a difference to change these staggering statistics.
“June starts summer, and schools are out; donations made in the summer provide resources during the busiest time of the year for food banks. One reason is that children who were on breakfast and lunch plans at schools no longer have access to these, so our partners receive more of a demand for food assistance,” said Kent Lugrand, President and CEO of InTouch Credit Union. “This donation and its timing is very meaningful to us. For every dollar donated, three meals are supplied. We are providing 225,000 meals with this one donation!”
The donations occurred on the following schedule:
North Texas Food Bank: 3 p.m. CST on June 16
- Donation Presenter: Jon Ganow, Region Vice President/Chief Retail Executive – Texas Region
- Food bank representatives:
- Katelyn Canaan, Marketing and Events Specialist
- Jeff Smith, Senior Manager of Communication
- Presentation Address: 3677 Mapleshade Lane, Plano, TX 75075
- Donation Amount: $40,000.00
Three Square: 4 p.m. PST on June 21
- Donation Presenter: Karessa Pewtress, CCUFC, Region Vice President/Chief Retail Executive – Nevada Region
- Food bank representative:
- Dan Johnson, Senior Development Officer
- Presentation Address: 4190 N Pecos Road, Las Vegas, NV 89115
- Donation Amount: $20,000.00
Gleaners Food Bank: 2 p.m. EST on June 23
- Donation Presenter: Dan Maldonado, CCUFC, Region Vice President/Chief Retail Executive – Michigan Region
- Food bank representatives:
- Angela Halverson, Director of Donor Engagement
- Stacey Averill, Vice President of Community Giving and Public Relations
- Presentation address: 21405 Trolley Industrial Drive, Taylor, MI 48180
- Donation Amount: $15,000.00
The “You and Us, Fighting Hunger Together” campaign works when a member opens a new loan or makes a credit or debit card purchase, a portion of the revenue from those transactions gets donated to food banks across the country affiliated with Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization.
“We are very pleased to be able to support our neighbors and community. This is what it’s all about,” said Lugrand.
To learn more about InTouch Credit Union’s “You and Us, Fighting Hunger Together” campaign and how you can help, visit itcu.org/you-and-us
About InTouch Credit Union ITCU
InTouch Credit Union (ITCU) is a financial cooperative that has proudly served members since 1974. ITCU is committed to creating member value by placing the financial needs and delivery of exceptional service to the membership ahead of profit while maintaining fiscal responsibility. With branches in three states, and assets of about $990 million, ITCU serves more than 90,000 members in all 50 states and more than 20 countries around the world. Membership eligibility rules are available on ITCU.org.