MD|DC Credit Union Association hosts 2022 Tech Summit to explore innovations redefining financial services
COLUMBIA, MD (August 22, 2022) — The MD|DC Credit Union Association hosted its 2022 Tech Summit to explore the digital innovations that are redefining financial services and reshaping the member experience.
The two-day event was held August 16-17 at the MGM National Harbor in Maryland and featured speakers at the forefront of the tech transformation, along with engaging panel discussions, relevant case studies, real-world success stories and the second annual FinTank competition.
From a deep dive into digital assets to demystifying DeFi to the debate over Central Bank Digital Currency, speakers discussed the technology that is transforming the future of finance.
“I want to thank our all-star lineup of industry experts and thought leaders who shared their perspective on the opportunities and challenges of developing and adopting a digital growth strategy,” said MD|DC Credit Union Association President/CEO John Bratsakis. “They offered valuable insight that will help credit unions prepare for the future and innovate to stay ahead of the curve.”
NCUA Board Member Rodney Hood kicked of the Tech Summit, calling fintech a “strategic business imperative” and encouraged credit unions to work with financial technology providers to improve operations and member services, as well as help advance financial inclusion. He said the NCUA is looking at developing a fintech rule to guide credit unions in integrating fintech solutions.
Attendees also heard from nationally recognized experts who shared their insights on positioning credit unions for the future:
• Mark Sievewright, Founder & CEO, Sievewright and Associates – Encouraged credit unions to reimagine how to bring together people, data, tech and processes to create value for members.
• Kirstin Wells, Principal Economist, Federal Reserve Board – Discussed the benefits and risks of Central Bank Digital Currency as the Federal Reserve Board engages in a public discussion.
• Jim Colassano, SVP, Product Dev. & Strategy, The Clearing House – Explored how the Real Time Payments Network at The Clearing House is unlocking new and innovative capabilities across the payments landscape.
• Lou Grilli, Senior Innovation Strategist, PSCU – Examined the future of cryptocurrency and innovative applications of blockchain.
• Patti Wubbels, SVP of Client Development, SRM – Explored the ins and outs of the developing cryptocurrency ecosystem.
• Elizabeth McCluskey, Director of the Discovery Fund, CMFG Ventures – Discussed leveraging fintech partnerships to increase financial inclusion.
• Chris Otey, Chief Revenue Officer, CU 2.0 – Examined how to evaluate fintechs for a successful partnership.
(L to R) front: MD|DC Credit Union Association CEO John Bratsakis; NCUA Board Member Rodney Hood; PSCU Senior Innovation Strategist Lou Grilli; SRM SVP of Client Development Patti Wubbels;
The Clearing House SVP, Product Dev. & Strategy, Jim Colassano. Back: Next Edge Crypto Founder Paul Fiore; CU 2.0 Chief Revenue Officer Chris Otey; Bonifii President/CEO John Ainsworth,
FRB Principal Economist, Kirstin Wells; Founder & CEO Sievewright & Associates, Mark Sievewright
About MD|DC Credit Union Association
The MD|DC Credit Union Association is the regional trade association for credit unions in Maryland and the Washington region that serve more than 2.2 million member-owners. Credit unions are not-for profit financial cooperatives that are locally controlled and owned by the people they serve. For more information, visit mddccua.org.