Minnesota Credit Union Network endorses re-election of US Representative Tom Emmer
ST. PAUL, MN (May 31, 2022) — The Minnesota Credit Union Network’s (MnCUN) Political Involvement Committee recently voted to endorse the re-election campaign of Congressman Tom Emmer.
“Since his election to Congress in 2014, Representative Emmer has been one of the strongest champions for credit unions in Washington DC,” said MnCUN Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Mara Humphrey. “From introducing and passing legislation that updates the federal credit union charter to prioritize the safety of credit union staff, to taking lead on pushing back on the misguided idea forcing credit unions to share account information to the IRS, Congressman Emmer has proven his support over and over again. Minnesota Credit Unions fully endorse his re-election.”
Since first being elected, Congressman Emmer has:
- Passed and been the lead co-sponsor of the Credit Union Governance Modernization Act
- Organized two House GOP letters opposing IRS reporting proposal
- Co-sponsored and voted in favor of SAFE Banking Act
- Voted in favor of the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief and Consumer Protection Act.
- Introduced the Home Mortgage Disclosure Adjustment Act
- Co-sponsored Community Lending Enhancement and Regulatory Relief Act
- Signed on to the Guinta-Hinojosa letter encouraging the NCUA to move lower risk credit unions to an 18-month examination cycle
- Signed on to the Tipton-Murphy letter to the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) in reference to changes they are poised to make regarding credit losses for financial institutions
“I am honored to receive this endorsement from the Minnesota Credit Union Network. My team and I are fortunate to have such a strong relationship with our credit unions and their members, and I am incredibly pleased with what we have been able to accomplish in Congress as a result of this partnership. Minnesota’s credit unions play an integral role in the success of the Sixth District and our State, and I look forward to continuing our work together in Congress.”
MnCUN is the statewide organization that represents the needs and interests of credit unions in Minnesota. The Political Involvement Committee provides input and recommendations on legislative efforts at the state and federal level.
About Minnesota Credit Union Network
The Minnesota Credit Union Network is the statewide trade association that works to ensure the success, growth, and vitality of Minnesota credit unions. With over $39 billion in assets, Minnesota credit unions are local, trusted ﬁnancial cooperatives that serve over 2.1 million members at 404 branch locations, employing 5,841 people around the state. As not-for-proﬁt institutions, credit unions give back to the communities they serve. For more information, visit mncun.org.