Travis Credit Union offers free tax help to low-, moderate-income people
(January 7, 2015) — Travis Credit Union on Tuesday announced plans for this year’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income people who cannot prepare their own tax returns.
This year, individuals and families earning up to $53,000 are eligible for the free services. Area residents can now visit Travis Credit Union’s Corporate Headquarters to get free tax preparation services by calling 469-4317 to make an appointment.
“From financial education to home ownership programs our goal is to put money back into the pockets of our working families and individuals,” Barry Nelson, president and CEO of Travis Credit Union, said in a press release announcing the program. “As a socially responsible corporate citizen, the VITA Program is one of a number of ways Travis Credit Union can support the communities we serve.”
The credit union will initiate the free service by offering tax assistance by certified volunteers from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., on Saturdays, Feb. 14 and 21, and March 7, 14, and 21, at One Travis Way in Vacaville.
Weekday appointments are also available at Travis’ Dixon (1450 Ary Lane) and Richmond (3300-A Klose Way) branches, for six weeks on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, from Feb. 3 through March 12. These will also be by appointment from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. TCU Provides Free Tax Preparation to Assist Solano and Contra Costa County residents. To make an appointment at the Dixon branch, please call 469-4317 or for the Richmond branch 469-4313. Appointments are made by telephone only.
Residents, who do not have an opportunity to file their tax returns on a Travis Credit Union sponsored date, may visit any VITA site from Feb. 1 through April 15. All returns are filed electronically and taxpayers can expect to receive their refunds within seven to 10 days.
• When visiting a VITA site, taxpayers should bring the following items:
- Valid driver’s license or photo I.D.;
- All W-2 forms; 1099 forms for 2014, if applicable;
- Social Security cards for each family member; those who are filing jointly must bring their spouse;
- Checking and/or savings account numbers (up to three accounts) for deposit of their refund directly to their account.
- 2014 Tax Return
- Household health coverage information C1095-A if purchased through Covered California
- TA volunteers will help taxpayers take full advantage of all tax credits for which they are eligible including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
- During Financial Aid Awareness Week from February 16 -21, each TCU VITA site will have aAFSA volunteer on hand to answer college financial aid questions.
For more information about VITA or to locate additional sites, call the United Way helpline at 211 or visit Travis Credit Union’s website at www.traviscu.org.
Headquartered in Vacaville, Travis Credit Union is a not-for-profit cooperative financial institution serving those who live or work in Solano, Alameda, Colusa, Contra Costa, Merced Napa, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sonoma, Stanislaus, and Yolo counties.