Twelve Students Join Googolplex Youth Editorial Board
MADISON, Wis. (August 7, 2012) — Twelve students living across America and Japan have been selected to serve one-year terms as youth editorial board members for the Credit Union National Association’s (CUNA) website toolkit called Googolplex: The CU Guide for Student Moneymakers.
“Peer-to-peer sharing is what the younger generation is all about,” says Rena Crispin, Googolplex managing editor. “We rely on the feedback we receive from our youth editorial board members to help us develop financial literacy tools that speak directly to children and young adults. Our youth board is a vital part of providing financial education at a young age.”
Googolplex is a youth-focused element of CUNA’s website content and toolkits, which guide credit union members through financial decisions at every stage of life. Googolplex features interactive games, videos, blogs and other content dealing with money matters and real life issues to promote financial literacy for youth aged 6-18.
Youth editorial board members write critiques of stories and games in age-specific sections of Googolplex’s award-winning three-in-one website each month. At the end of their terms, each of the 12 board members writes an original story for Googolplex.
The Clubhouse Crew for 5-Spot, aimed at elementary school students:
- Ashlyn, Keesler Federal Credit Union, Florida
- Colby, Keesler Federal Credit Union, Kentucky
- Kimberly, Landmark Credit Union, Wisconsin
- Sean, Keesler Federal Credit Union, Misawa Air Base, Aomori Prefecture, Japan
The Super Youth Team for AJ’s, intended for middle school students:
- Allison, SAFE Federal Credit Union, South Carolina
- mily, Keesler Federal Credit Union, Louisiana
- Talia, First American Credit Union, Wisconsin
The Teenage Panel advising C-Note, focused on high school students
- Alex, West Virginia Central Credit Union, West Virginia
- Bryan, Numark Credit Union, Illinois
- Daniel, Kinecta Federal Credit Union, California
- Jacob, Hughes Federal Credit Union, Arizona
- Marta, United Educators Credit Union, Minnesota
“Our youth board members give us feedback that helps their peers feel welcome and validated whenever they use Googolplex on their credit unions’ websites,” says Susan Tiffany, CCUFC, director of consumer periodicals.
With its network of affiliated state credit union leagues, Credit Union National Association (CUNA) serves 90 percent of America’s 7,400 state and federally chartered credit unions, which are owned by more than 95 million consumer members. Credit unions are not-for-profit cooperatives providing affordable financial services to people from all walks of life. For more information about CUNA, visit www.cuna.org or the CUNAverse blog and follow @CUNAverse on Twitter. For more information about credit unions, visit www.aSmarterChoice.org and follow @asmarterchoice on Twitter.