Unitus Community Credit Union celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with events, sponsorships, and initiatives
Unitus is proud to host and support local events that celebrate Hispanic heritage in our communities
PORTLAND, OR (September 19, 2022) — Unitus Community Credit Union is proud to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month to honor the history and culture of the Latino and Hispanic communities and their social, cultural, and economic contributions. This annual month-long celebration is held from September 15 – October 15.
As part of Unitus’ ongoing commitment to creating an inclusive environment for staff, members, and community, the credit union is proud to partner with local community organizations that are dedicated to creating stronger communities for all. Unitus is proud to host several upcoming events, while supporting partner-led events throughout Hispanic Heritage Month.
• September 14 – Unitus served as the premier sponsor of the Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber’s Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration dinner.
• September 15-16 – Unitus is participating in El Grito Portland in collaboration with Point West Credit Union. This community celebration at the Rose Quarter Commons in Portland brings together local community resources, artists, food vendors, and artisans.
• September 16 – Unitus is sponsoring the Hispanic Heritage Month Breakfast in Salem. The event brought together influential Hispanic leaders, business owners, and community members to network and highlight opportunities for continued support, partnership, and connection.
• September 20 – Unitus will host its Juntos Avanzamos Community Celebration at Unitus Plaza from noon–2 p.m. The event celebrates the credit union’s Juntos Avanzamos designation with entertainment, keynote speakers, food, and giveaways. *Members of the
media are welcome to attend.
• September 25 – Unitus launches its signature event at Ron Tonkin Field in Hillsboro. El Festival de Mariachi is free and open to the public from noon–6 p.m. The event brings local high school and professional mariachi bands together. *Members of the media are welcome to attend.
• September 30 – Unitus will celebrate its Bilingual Teachers Scholars cohort at Western Oregon University with a welcome breakfast. This Unitus program funds educational costs for 8 students to become bilingual K-12 teachers in Oregon. *Members of the media are welcome to attend.
Unitus’ commitment to the Latino and Hispanic communities is a year-round endeavor. The credit union strives to provide affordable, sustainable, and responsible financial products and services to empower Hispanic and immigrant communities. Unitus’ inclusive financial practices include loans to finance the cost of immigration/citizenship, ITIN loans for members without social security numbers, international money transfer programs to send money to home countries, multigenerational home loans, and Spanish-speaking staff to serve members in person and online.
Unitus is proud to be involved with local community initiatives that provide support for Latino and Hispanic communities. Some of these partnerships include: education and services through the Consulate of Mexico, funding for the Farmworker Program Coordinator position at AWARE Food Bank in Woodburn, community outreach at the Hacienda CDC Latino Home Fair, sponsorship of Los Soñadores games with the Hillsboro Hops, support for local BIPOC business through the #PDXUnites campaign, and partnering with BIPOC and women-owned businesses for Unitus’ operational needs through inclusive vendor selection.
“We are proud of our partnerships and the connections we continue to make within our communities,” said Steven Stapp, President and CEO of Unitus Community Credit Union. “Through these partnerships, we can better identify and remove barriers that are preventing community members from accessing financial services. We believe we are stronger together and when we collaborate to create inclusive spaces, we all benefit.”
*Media members interested in attending any event must RSVP with Autumn Foster, Marketing Communications Specialist.
About Unitus Community Credit Union
At Unitus, we’re dedicated to improving lives in the communities we serve. As a member-owned local credit union, we invest in people by doing the right thing. Through partnerships with nonprofit organizations, we provide support for community groups through volunteerism and financial donations. Our 104,000 members count on us to serve them and their communities; our 300+ employees share that passion for service. Learn about the local impact Unitus makes by visiting unitusccu.com.