‘Waiting for ‘Superman’ Star Geoffrey Canada to keynote at NAFCU’s 47th Annual Conference and Solutions Expo in Las Vegas
WASHINGTON, DC (March 12, 2014) — Education advocate and key figure in the 2010 Sundance Film Festival Audience Award for best documentary “Waiting for ‘Superman’” Geoffrey Canada will be a keynote speaker at the National Association of Federal Credit Unions (NAFCU) 47th Annual Conference and Solutions Expo, which will be held July 22-26 at The Venetian Las Vegas Casino, Hotel & Resort. Credit union leaders attending will gain inspiration and ideas from Canada’s story of leading for positive change.
“Mr. Canada is an inspirational figure whose revolutionary methods speak directly to credit unions’ important role in their communities,” said Dan Berger, NAFCU’s president and CEO. “His formula is a simple one – hard work, dedication and careful use of resources – and it’s one that credit union leaders will appreciate and identify with as they strive to meet the challenges of a changing and tumultuous financial marketplace.”
Canada, slated to speak to the conference general session July 25, is the president and CEO of Harlem Children’s Zone, which The New York Times Magazine called “one of the most ambitious social experiments of our time.” He has been on Time magazine’s list of most influential people in the world. His pioneering work for a 24-block neighborhood in Harlem has been replicated in communities across the country. His organization also inspired the Obama administration’s “Promise Zones” initiative, which partners with local communities and businesses to create jobs, expand access to educational opportunities and spur economic mobility and security.
Canada joins an already stellar lineup of keynote speakers at the conference, including leadership innovators Dan Rockwell and Lee Wetherington. Rockwell, the author of the world-renowned blog Leadership Freak, will share his two-step formula to help leaders reignite energy and fuel passion within their organizations. Wetherington, the director of strategic insight for ProfitStars and sponsored by Allied Solutions, will help attendees identify unique strategies for tackling the latest technologies and trends.
Also speaking will be National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) Chairman Debbie Matz and Director of the Office of Examination and Insurance Larry Fazio. Berger and other top NAFCU staff will also be presenting during the conference.
Further conference highlights include:
- educational tracks designed to help credit unions identify new income opportunities, the latest credit union trends, best practices in risk management and more;
- theater sessions in the Solutions Expo featuring strategies for successfully integrating technology and more;
- the Small Credit Union Roundtable, a town-hall style session to discuss issues and opportunities exclusively for credit unions with less than $75 million in assets led by NCUA Director of Small Credit Union Initiatives William Myers;
- the CEOs’ Forum, Chairs’ Caucus, Senior Management Forum and Directors’ Q&A to allow credit union leaders to discuss concerns and share ideas with their peers;
- the Solutions Expo, the hub for the latest technologies, applications and resources available to help improve credit union operations;
- the Defense Credit Union Summit, featuring a number of our nation’s defense leaders covering top-of-mind defense issues and best practices for serving DoD members; and
- numerous opportunities to network with credit union professionals including a reception and Vegas show on Friday night.
The deadline for early registration savings of $100 for association members and nonmembers is May 23. Visit www.nafcu-annual.org to learn more and to register.
The National Association of Federal Credit Unions is the only national organization that focuses exclusively on federal issues affecting credit unions, representing its members before the federal government and the public.