What’s NOT covered by flood insurance?

Did you know that most homeowners insurance policies don’t cover damage caused by floods? If you live in a high-risk flood area, most mortgage lenders will require you to purchase flood insurance through FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). However, since the NFIP reports that over 20% of flood insurance claims come from outside high-risk flood areas, most people are encouraged to consider obtaining coverage.In this blog post, we’ll let you know what is and isn’t covered under the standard NFIP flood insurance policy. We’ll also discuss the true cost of rebuilding a home under the current market conditions to help you determine whether you have adequate flood coverage for your home.

What IS covered by standard flood insurance?

The NFIP typically offers two types of flood insurance—building coverage and contents coverage. Here are examples from the NFIP of what’s covered with their standard flood insurance:


continue reading »