Growing up in rural Pennsylvania, I always enjoyed Jeff Foxworthy’s comedy routines. Especially the “you might be a redneck” bits. Sure, they sometimes hit a bit close to home, but I always thought it was healthy to laugh at yourself every so often.
I’m a firm believer that every segment of society should be able to poke fun at itself. I was trained as a lawyer. There’s a ton of low hanging fruit there if you ever need a laugh. Believe me.
But this blog is about management. So with a hat tip to Mr. Foxworthy, here goes.
- If someone asks you how your train ride was, and you respond, “Fantastic! I knocked out about 200 emails,”….you might be a manager.
- If you have four business books sitting on your nightstand…you might be a manager.
- If the fact that you haven’t picked up a one of those four business books in a week bothers you…you might be a manager.
- If you have more “productivity” apps on your phone than games…you might be a manager.
- If someone asks you who your favorite author is, and Jim Collins comes to mind…You might be a manager.
- If you compare notes with friends to see how they handle their email in-box…you might be a manager.
- If you consider bragging about a spreadsheet you developed…you might be a manager.
- If you have a folder filled with articles on how to improve meetings…you might be a manager.
- If you ever created a checklist to improve your checklists…you might be a manager.
- If you ever made a New Year’s resolution to read more business books…you might be a manager.
- If you’ve ever done research on how to improve your checklists…you might be a manager.
- If a slow spell at work makes you nervous…you might be a manager.
- If you rate airports by the number of free outlets they make available…you might be a manager.
- If you find it hard not to rate people solely by how well they do their job…you might be a manager.
- If a blog post by John Spence or Dan Rockwell nearly brings you to tears…you might be a manager.
- If you watched a TED video and thought to yourself…man, this could change my life…you might be a manager.
- And if the length of this blog post is starting to bother you because of all that’s on your plate…you might be a manager.
Feel free to add to the list, folks. Have a great weekend!