You Might Be A Manager…
by Anthony Demangone
Growing up in rural Pennsylvania, I always enjoyed Jeff Foxworthy’s comedy routines. Especially the “you might be a redneck” bits. Sure, they sometimes hit a bit close to home, but I always thought it was healthy to laugh at yourself every so often.
I’m a firm believer that every segment of society should be able to poke fun at itself. I was trained as a lawyer. There’s a ton of low hanging fruit there if you ever need a laugh. Believe me.
But this blog is about management. So with a hat tip to Mr. Foxworthy, here goes.
- If someone asks you how your train ride was, and you respond, “Fantastic! I knocked out about 200 emails,”….you might be a manager.
- If you have four business books sitting on your nightstand…you might be a manager.
- If the fact that you haven’t picked up a one of those four business books in a week bothers you…you might be a manager.
- If you have more “productivity” apps on your phone than games…you might be a manager.
- If someone asks you who your favorite author is, and Jim Collins comes to mind…You might be a manager.
- If you compare notes with friends to see how they handle their email in-box…you might be a manager.